WHEREAS President Franklin Roosevelt used the “New Deal” to raise the country out of its greatest challenge, a debilitating depression;
WHEREAS the greatest challenge we now face is the specter of global destruction from climate change and the disruptions it is causing;
WHEREAS a Green New Deal is proposed at the federal level within House Resolution (HR) 109 and Senate Resolution (SR) 59 that would:
- Secure for all people clean air and water, housing, climate resiliency, healthy food, access to nature and a sustainable environment,
- Invest in the infrastructure and industry of the United States and sustainably meet the challenges of the 21st century.
- Promote justice and equity by stopping current, preventing future and repairing historic oppression of frontline and vulnerable communities,
- Eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions as much as technologically feasible through a fair and just transition for all communities and workers, and
- Create millions of high-quality union jobs that hire local workers and pay prevailing wages.
WHEREAS local groups are joining together to urge the passage of the federal Green New Deal; and
WHEREAS our 7th Congressional District Representative, Pramila Jayapal, is a co-sponsor of HR 109,
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED the 34th Legislative District Democratic Organization joins with other local groups in supporting passage of the federal Green New Deal and agrees to be listed among the groups in the Green New Deal Coalition and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED this resolution be sent to the Green New Deal Coalition and to Representative Pramila Jayapal for their information and use.