August 10, 2022 – Virtual meeting held via closed ZOOM
6:30 Presentation on Police Reform by Rob Saka, introduced by Bill Schrier; recording available here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCON7J56wtBveqzF0xVywhrg
7:42 Call to Order by Chair Carla Rogers
- Update on current election events and notable primaries; encouraged to the 34th to stay involved and support our blue candidates!
- Land & People Acknowledgement – First Vice Chair Rachel Glass
- VIP Acknowledgements
- Joe Fitzgibbon – discussed voter turn-out trends across the nation and motivating factors, such as Supreme Court overturning Roe and Jan 6 hearings
- Dow Constantine – deferred until the Prop 1 section of the agenda
- Speak Up Survey is BACK! https://bit.ly/SpeakUp-Aug22
Approval of Tonight’s Agenda and Last Month’s Minutes
- Karen Richter moved and Ann Martin seconded to approve the agenda. Passed by unanimous consent.
- Ann Martin moved and Julie Whitaker seconded to approve the minutes. Passed by unanimous consent.
Budget and Membership Reports
- Treasurer Julie Whitaker reported on the financials since the last meeting.
- Income increased this month largely due to the fundraiser. Ticket sales were recognized previously in the months they were received. Paint the Night Blue Fundraiser made about $10-$11k after expenses.
- Current membership is 269, including 98 PCOs.
- August Pop Up Social – August 26, 5:30 – 8pm at Good Society Brewery and Public House
- Next meeting in person!!! September 14, 6:00-9pm, at the Hall at Fauntleroy, and hosting the General Election GOTV Kick Off
- Next board meeting is Thursday, August 25, 7-8:30 (Zoom)
- King County Dems LAC committee volunteer sought, contact email@example.com
What’s Ahead in 2022
- September In-Person Meeting – first one in two years!
- October 12 Pre-Meeting Program (Public Safety) and Meeting on Zoom
- November 8 General Election
- November 9 Meeting – Year End Celebration
- Pre-session Q&A with Legislators
- 2022 34th Awards
- Tribute to Rep Eileen Cody
- No December Meeting
- Service Project
- December is the end of the term, and the 34th will undergo reorganization in January (election of officers)
Conserve our Futures: YES on Prop. 1
- Proposition No. 1 Conservation Futures Property Tax Levy
- Dow Constantine presented regarding the levy restoring the conservation futures fund protecting the local wildland environments, greenspaces, and recreational areas
- Chris Porter moved and Ann Martin seconded to endorse the resolution. Chris Porter spoke for endorsement.
- Unanimous vote in favor of the motion to endorse.
PCO Appointments & Upcoming Plans
- New PCO Appointments
- Soleil Lewis White Center – Bernice
- Dorothy Gesick SEA 34 – 1480
- Nick Bonazza moved and Bunny Hatcher seconded to appoint these new PCOs.
- Unanimous voice vote welcomed these new PCOs to their roles!
- September 14 GOTV Kick Off Event – The Hall 6-9pm
- PCO Recognition & GOTV Material Distribution
- Hear from our Endorsed Candidates!
- Inspirational Pre-Meeting Program
- Help Re-elect Dr. Kim Schrier!
- National implications!
- 2 Field Trips scheduled, more based on participation, 12-3pm canvass, including training
- Meet at Arbor Heights Elementary to carpool to canvas in the 8th (Covington)
- Saturday, Sept 10 & Sunday, September 25 – meet both days at 11:15am
- Door-knocking has proven to increase voter turn-out
Upcoming Outreach Events
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to participate!!!
|Boulevard Park Block Party||Saturday August 13||12pm – 6pm||1832 S. 120th St.|
|Seattle Folklorico Festival||Saturday, August 27||11am – 5pm||Westcrest Park|
|Adopt-A-Street||*||Sunday, September 11th||1pm – 3pm||16th Ave SW at Roxbury|
|B-Town Fiesta||Saturday, September 24||10am – 6pm||Burien Town Center Park|
- Bunny Hatcher presented on “A Resolution Calling for Passage of the Local Journalism Sustainability Act”
- Ann Martin moved and Bunny Hatcher seconded to endorse the resolution, as amended for clarity. Ann Martin spoke for the resolution.
- Unanimous vote in favor of the motion to adopt the resolution.
Fundraiser Wrap Up
- Many thanks to Gina Topp and her team for putting on an excellent Fundraiser this year!
Good of the Order
- Ann Martin – West Seattle Democratic Women Picnic at Ann Martin’s house, please RSVP MartinHTAM@gmail.com so they have enough pizza!