We received this amazingly helpful and thorough information from Burien City Councilmember Sofia Aragon.
If you would like to sign up to support the Afghan Refugee response in Washington, please fill out the form. By completing this form, you will receive an email roughly once per week that provides resources, action alerts, and other ways to take action. You will also be contacted by our team of volunteers to follow up on specific ways you indicated that you would be able to contribute (but please be patient with us as our team works through hundreds of responses!).
The info is categorized as follows:
- Afghan Refugee Support
- Afghan Support
- Additional Resources
- Additional Action
To see this email in document form, go here. If at any point you wish to remove yourself from this list, please just let us know. Please also continue sharing the Google form to have others sign up as well: www.tinyurl.com/WAHelpAfghans. Thank you!
- AFGHAN REFUGEE SUPPORT
If you identified specific ways you can contribute to support the incoming refugees on our Google form, our team of volunteers led by MAPS-MCRC (Muslim Community Resource Center) will be following up with you. Please be patient, as we’ve had hundreds of people sign up and it will take a bit of time to get through all the responses.
If you are looking for additional ways to help, here are some options [please note: the situation is changing quickly so not all links/options may be available when you click on them]:
- Sign up with AirBnB to offer a place to stay for Afghan refugees: www.airbnb.org/get-involved
- Donate goods to World Relief: https://worldrelief.org/seattle/get-involved/donate-goods/
- Donate items from the Amazon Wishlist by IRC in Seattle: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/38EPMHQLSWOHO
- Donate items from the Amazon Wish List by Jewish Family Services Refugee & Immigrant Services: https://www.amazon.com/registries/custom/30OKQF4EANM4V/guest-view
- Sign up to volunteer with Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services (LIRS): https://www.tfaforms.com/4922177
- Sign up to volunteer with World Relief: https://worldrelief.org/seattle/get-involved/volunteer/
- Volunteer as a foster parent for Afghan youth (especially if you are Afghan-American): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfn084BwnQI6QkS2dCUGmFql833RmrJPNJUwL0Yze0JFrRurA/viewform
- [CURRENTLY CLOSED – may reopen in future] Sign up to provide temporary housing to Afghan refugees by Afghan Health Initiative: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdny1z5–zvLomQv0bL5U2qFks38OI1cSlgSWJxs4A_1F-ivw/viewform
Most importantly, please donate generously to the Emergency Afghan Refugee Fund for WA State just launched by MAPS-MCRC (Muslim Community Resource Center) and partner organizations (including Afghan Health Initiative, SCM Medical Missions, Kits For Peace, and more): www.launchgood.com/WAafghanFund
- In addition to the Emergency Afghan Refugee Fund, here are other campaigns you may wish to support:
o Afghan Health Initiative Campaign: www.afghanhealth.org/donate
o SCM Medical Missions Refugee Resettlement Campaign: https://www.scmmedicalmissions.org/resettlement/
o Kits For Peace Afghan Refugee Support Fund: https://www.scmmedicalmissions.org/resettlement/
o Welcome WA Fund by IRC: https://www.facebook.com/donate/1499796960360335/
o World Relief Campaign: https://worldrelief.org/seattle/get-involved/afghan-allies/#give
o LIRS Neighbors in Need, Afghan Allies Fund Campaign: https://secure2.convio.net/lirs/site/Donation2?df_id=4079&4079.donation=form1&mfc_pref=T/&link_id=1&can_id=a70bc5662ad828ff6bfbb0a7b35cf461&source=email-action-alert-84&email_referrer=email_1265599&email_subject=action-alert
Please participate in the following upcoming events:
- Save the Date! Sept. 15, 6pm, Town Hall on the Crisis in Afghanistan: What, Why and What you Can Do. More info to come.
Please sign any/all of the petitions below.
- Afghan Diaspora Statement led by Afghans for a Better Tomorrow: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdWr2u_lOeal-KWPm58q4N01CV9RBntbk1YSgUHttjvDvFCqA/viewform
- OneAmerica’s Action Alert to lift the cap on Afghan refugees: https://cqrcengage.com/oneamericavotes/app/write-a-letter?3&engagementId=512557
- IRC’s Statement to Biden: https://act.rescue.org/yRqHe9p
- MoveOn’s Petition: https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/president-biden-must-support-the-most-vulnerable-in-afghanistan-as-part-of-the-withdrawal-plan
- CAIR-WA’s Action Alert: bit.ly/cairwa_supportafghans
- Sign On Letter for Faith Leaders: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfLe5_TtbGESVXt4TwVaizbcfA_0-7mim5fIOjzfvFzy-BJhg/viewform
- Sign On Letter For Faith Organizations: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdv4n88xSNUaRuGpckYxx2Krl0xIFMGbZLnrvQqEAvxKsa1TA/viewform
- International Refugee Assistance Project Petition: https://www.change.org/p/u-s-house-of-representatives-tell-congress-to-bring-our-afghan-allies-to-safety
- Mobilize 4 Change Petition: https://mobilize4change.org/5aWNCKB
- Protect Afghan Women Petition: https://www.protectafghanwomen.org/
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Petition: https://support.elca.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1422&fbclid=IwAR1PnLBhdhlRx9g7RVS6lIy9EIzSJdkp392R9GNQbquGm8bifhahKVA4gvg
- Change.org Petition: https://www.change.org/p/u-s-house-of-representatives-tell-congress-to-bring-our-afghan-allies-to-safety?redirect=false
- Women’s Action for New Directions Petition: https://secure.everyaction.com/UGkhX7j06U6GSr_r67ZTaw2
- Advocate with World Relief: https://worldrelief.org/seattle/get-involved/advocate
- Elected Officials can sign the Welcome Refugees Letter: https://welcomingrefugees2022.org/
- State Legislators can sign this letter to Biden and Congress: https://secure.everyaction.com/_0a5-_cR80Cnob_H_9kTFQ2?emci=e48c66ec-5c00-ec11-b563-501ac57b8fa7&emdi=ea000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&ceid=3100420
We are also working with elected officials on additional action that the state along with counties and cities can take to support the people of Afghanistan and the incoming Afghan refugees. For now, here are four additional ways state and local leaders can help: https://bit.ly/TemplateStateLocalLtr.
- AFGHAN SUPPORT
For Afghan-Americans and/or those seeking to evacuate their family and loved ones in Afghanistan, below are some resources.
- Kabul Repatriation Assistance Form for US Citizens, LPRs and their spouses/minor children w/ pending visas: https://seirmprod.servicenowservices.com/kra
- Those with an approved petition for a Special Immigrant Visa needing assistance could also email NVCSIV@state.govor call 1-603-334-0828
- CAIR-WA Evacuation Inquiry Form: https://forms.gle/R9MCkv9qqfWC2Ex28
- Immigration Relief for Afghans document: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1fOLFOxD6DWs2JrBb1hqf2EXMbC5imN1Bm5LOXnSkfks/mobilebasic
- World Relief Seattle resource page with FAQ for Afghans/SIV status: https://worldrelief.org/seattle/get-involved/afghan-allies/
- Afghanistan Emergency Resource List: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15s0dB44PLaADHst_hQP4upkSpXVi1oLw9GgSoHPrOOk/mobilebasic?urp=gmail_link
- Refugee Council Resources: https://rcusa.org/afghanistan/for-afghans/
- HIAS Resources and Information: https://www.hias.org/sites/default/files/for_afghans_page_2.pdf
- Afghan Diaspora Hub: www.afgdiasporahub.com
We understand how difficult, devastating, chaotic and uncertain the situation is right now — options are also extremely limited for leaving Afghanistan, and the window for evacuation is quickly closing. We hope and pray that you and your family remain safe and well during this time of crisis. If you or your loved ones in WA state need emotional/mental support during this time, you can schedule Emotional Wellness time with Sheikh Yasir Fargas through MAPS-MCRC’s free community clinic: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/MAPSMCRCHealthClinic@mapsredmond.org/bookings/
We are also working on other ways to provide support to the local Afghan-American community during this time of crisis, and will keep you posted.
- ADDITIONAL RESOURCE COMPILATIONS
- Afghan Diaspora Hub — collection of resources and ways to help across the country: www.afgdiasporahub.com
- Resources by an Afghan-American for action, including talking points for contacting your Members of Congress: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sdt5i6y80hF2DDBdjlz7ApSVODdiXEB_HOWBwsl6DZA/edit
- CWS Resource Compilation: https://bit.ly/CWSAfghanResources
- SIV Rapid Response: Social Media Toolkit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17zU5RH9wOTjlcX7E0mFLLK_l0qSbTTrg3m9w9yQa7Z8/edit
- ADDITIONAL ACTIONS
- Listen to, learn from, and uplift the voices of Afghan-Americans. Here are a couple articles with perspectives from Afghan-Americans:
o Imagine all your freedoms taken away overnight. That’s what Afghans are facing, https://www-sandiegouniontribune-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/commentary/story/2021-08-20/opinion-farhat-popal-afghanistan
o America Has Never Listened to the People of Afghanistan, https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/08/afghan-voices-warning-refugees-asylum.html
- Avoid the conflation of the Taliban’s brutal behavior with Islam. Read this article for clarification: Is the Taliban’s treatment of women really inspired by Sharia?, https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2021/8/22/is-the-talibans-treatment-of-women-really-inspired-by-sharia
- Pray for peace and stability in Afghanistan, and strength, safety, and well-being for the Afghan people
- We are also working on having places of worship donate storage space at their buildings to help store goods and resources for incoming Afghan refugees. Please stay tuned for more info.
May we see peace, safety, comfort and joy prevail for the people of Afghanistan, and may our collective efforts help welcome our newly arriving Afghan brothers and sisters with open arms, and truly set Washington state up as a model for the nation.
Post expires at 4:12pm on Monday October 4th, 2021