Executive Board Rules
Rules of the Executive Board 34th District Democratic Organization Final – 20 Oct 2008 (As approved by the Executive Board on 17 Sept 2008)
1. Rules Subject to By-Laws and State Law. These Rules of the Executive Board of the 34’h District Democratic Organization (“Rules”) are subject to the By-laws of the 34th District Democratic Organization (the “By-Laws”) as most recently amended. These Rules are also subject to: 1) the ByLaws of the King County Democratic Central Committee (KCDCC); 2) the By-Laws of the Washington State Democratic Central Committee (WSDCC); and 3) Washington state law. In the case of conflict or inconsistency, the Rules shall be superseded by.the By-Laws, which shall be superseded by the By-Laws of the KCDCC, which shall be superseded by the By-Laws of the WSDCC, which in turn shall be superseded by Washington state law. The 34th District Democratic Organization is hereinafter referred to as “the Organization.”
2. Rules Adoption and Amendments. Following preliminary approval by a majority vote of members of the Executive Board of the Organization (“the Executive Board”), these Rules shall be published in the newsletter and on the website for consideration and comment by the members of the Organization (“the Membership”). No earlier than thirty days after such publication, the Executive Board shall take a final vote on approval of these Rules, which shall only become effective upon ratification by a majority vote of the members of the Executive Board. As needed, the By-Laws and Rules Committee shall propose amendments to these Rules, which to become effective must be approved by a majority of the Executive Board following a thirty-day consideration and comment period by the Membership.
3. Standing Committees. The Standing Committees of the Organization are created to ensure ongoing structure, continuity and growth of the Organization for the benefit of the Membership and the people of the 34’n Legislative District. The Standing Committees are responsible for carrying out functions essential to a healthy and thriving Organization. The Chair of the Organization shall be an ex officio member of all committees, standing or ad hoc. The First and Second Vice-Chairs of the Organization shall serve as chair of at least one of the Standing Committees, as appointed by the Chair of the Organization. The Standing Committees of the Organization, and their purpose and functions are:
3.1 The Finance Committee assists the Treasurer in the preparation and implementation of the annual budget, audits the financial records of the Organization, and generally oversees the financial health of the Organization. The Treasurer shall be a member of this committee.
3.2 The Fundraising Committee plans and conducts fundraising for the Organization, and shall be responsible for conducting at least one major annual fundraising event, in addition to other fundraising events and activities at the discretion of the Fundraising Committee and the Executive Board. The Treasurer and Chair of the Finance Committee shall be a member of this committee, either of whom may, but shall not be required to, serve as the Fundraising Committee Chair.
3.3 The Membership Committee recruits new members, fosters retention of existing members of the Organization, and manages member information and data. The Membership Committee shall serve as the credentialing body for regular and special meetings, and shall certify which members have voting rights at such meetings.
3.4 The Outreach Committee plans and executes outreach events, voter registration drives, and other activities to increase visibility and diversity of the Organization and raise political awareness within the various communities of the 34th Legislative District.
3.5 The Leadership Development Committee supports recruitment of candidates for official positions in the Organization, and shall encourage competitive officer elections. The Leadership Development Committee shall disseminate information about the various officer and committee chair positions and report to Membership on the candidates willing to run for various offices at least one month before elections are held. Candidate nominations from the floor shall be taken during a Membership meeting and shall be given equal standing to candidates identified by the Leadership Development Committee. The Chair of the Organization may also request that the Leadership Development Committee make recommendations for Standing Committee chair appointments
3.6 The Program Committee shall seek speakers and propose topics for discussion at regular and special district meetings, shall solicit suggestions for speakers and topics from Membership, and shall make recommendations for the same for consideration by the Executive Board. The . Program Committee shall propose an annual schedule of key events of the Organization to the Executive Board for approval. The Program Committee may organize and hold at least one “Issues Forum” each calendar year that shall be open to the public.
3.7 The Communications Committee shall oversee the preparation of mailings and communications of the Organization. The Secretary of the Organization, Corresponding Secretary, Newsletter Committee Chair, and Information Technology Manager shall be members of the Communications Committee, any one of whom may serve as the Communications Committee Chair.
3.8 The Newsletter Committee is responsible for preparation, publishing, and distribution of the Organization’s monthly newsletter.
3.9 The Young Democrats Committee recruits Democrats under the age of 36 to join and participate in the Organization, organizes events for young Democrats, and supports the efforts of the Membership & Outreach and PCO/Area Organizing Committees. This Committee is not formally associated with the State or County Young Democrats organizations.
3.10 The By-Laws & Rules Committee prepares and recommends modifications of the by-laws and rules to the Executive Board and the Membership.
3.11 The Legislative Action, Platform & Resolutions Committee researches and informs the Membership and the people of the 34th Legislative District regarding proposed legislation placed before any legislative body having jurisdiction within the District. The committee chair shall be a member of the KCDCC Legislative Action Committee and shall report back to this committee and the Membership following KCDCC LAC monthly meetings. This committee shall prepare a draft Platform for consideration and ratification by the membership, and for consideration and adoption at the Legislative District Caucus. The proposed Platform shall be published in the newsletter and posted on the website for at least 30 days prior to Legislative District Caucus. Approval of the Platform requires a majority vote of the seated delegates present at the Legislative District Caucus. The Legislative Action Committee shall also organize Caucuses focused on policies relating to the values and priorities of the 34th Legislative District Democrats. These Caucuses shall be made up of members of the 34th Legislative District Democrats and be tasked with performing policy research and development to supplement the work of the Legislative Action Committee.
3.12 The PCO/Area Organizing Committee supports recruitment of, and trains, organizes and assists Precinct Committee Officers in the discharge of their duties. This Committee shall establish Area Organizing Subcommittees (AOS) to advance PCO and neighborhood leader recruitment and involvement in the Organization.
3.13 The Caucus and Elections Committee shall plan, organize and hold the Democratic presidential and state caucus proceedings in the District, and shall coordinate Organization efforts on public elections with the KCDCC and WSDCC.
3. 14 The Hospitality Committee supports the social life of the organization by making meetings a welcoming place for all members, their families, and guests, including staffing a welcoming table and providing food and refreshments. The Hospitality Committee shall organize an annual Summer Picnic and a Holiday Party for the Membership.
4. Appointment of Standing Committee Chairs. The procedure for appointment of Committee Chairs is specified in Section 6 of Article IV of the By-Laws.