Executive Board Meeting Minutes
June 15, 2021 – Virtual meeting held via closed ZOOM
7:02pm – Call to Order by Chair Carla Rogers
Attendees: Carla Rogers, Rachel Glass, Sara Smith, Steven Butts, Colleen Hinton, Karen Richter, Bunny Hatcher, Jordan Crawley, Julie Whitaker, Trey Lykins, Norman Sigler, Nick Bonazza, Sarah Koch, Janine Anzalota, Dawn Rains
Call to Order
- Welcome & Reminder of our social contract
- Review of Agenda and Minutes
- Minutes from May member meeting approved
- Announcements & Upcoming Dates
- Aaron Garcia interested in KCDCC Alt role
- Need to fill Resolutions & Endorsements Co-Chair role
- Another T3 Training opportunity (starts June 22); self-paced education, follow up to previous training
- PSARA Event Thursday/Juneteenth – Karen Richter and Rachel Glass PSARA promoting education and awareness regarding Juneteenth holiday presented by various poets, actors, singers and performers, register here: https://www.psara.org/
- National Infrastructure Bank (NIB) Program – pre-meeting on July 14
- Redlining program – Monday night, July 27, 7pm
- Primary GOTV Kickoff – July 8, 7-8:30
- Burien Initiative Planning Meeting TBS
- Canvas Send Off – July 17
- Next Board Meeting – July 28 (one week later than normal)
- Fall Picnic 34th In-Person Reunion – September 18 confirmed! – Lincoln Park, casual event for socializing with the 34th and various candidates. Time TBD.
- Planning meeting June 29, 7pm
- PCO GOTV Activities – Nick Bonazza – had first PCO meeting this last Saturday, discussion on guidelines and best practices to be successful. Looking for volunteers in helping with GOTV! Kickoff call is July 8th.
- Door hanger for door knocking providing information on endorsed candidates, the PCO role, and ways to volunteer. Will have a Burien version coming in early July which will also include a Spanish translation.
- Programs – Rachel highlighted upcoming Redlining educational program and Redistricting program.
- Outreach – Steve & Karen two activities last week, had a presence at West Seattle High School for voter registration and made a way for them to connect to registration online, and may have broken their goal for the year! Also did an Adopt A Street and cleaned up 16th Ave S from Roxbury to Elmgrove.
- Observations from June Membership Meeting
- Generally, went extremely well and received many positive comments
- Unfortunately, were not able to endorse a mayor
- Rules Change? Jordan discussed the confusion around the mayor’s race. The endorsement rules online had not been updated to reflect the most recent changes. Suggested holding our endorsement until after the Primary. Reviewed and discussed section 8 of endorsing candidates. Agreed the language currently allows the 34th to endorse after primaries, and recommended rules clarification for next year.
- Follow up to Georgette Reyes’ letter to the 34th. Carla contacted her and discussed the matter, and provided guidance on candidate vetting and procedure within the 34th.
- Plan for July & forward – Port endorsements and school board endorsements, would like candidates to schedule time and provide information about themselves ahead of asking for endorsement.
- Jordan Crawley presented the updated platform, and led the discussion on changes.
- The Platform is intended to provide guidance on endorsing resolutions and candidates.
- Jordan Crawley moved and Bunny Hatcher seconded that the Platform be presented to membership for voting with a DO PASS recommendation. Verbal unanimous approval, no opposition.
- Resolution Committee
- National Infrastructure Bank https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZuFvFK-goWrPpL4yJBiYVGFbnkIryWMp/edit Bunny Hatcher spoke for the resolution.
- Sarah Koch moved, Jordan Crawley seconded, “recommend approval to membership, inclusive of any changes desired by the Board.” Unanimous verbal approval.
- Compassion Seattle
- Charter Amendment requires the city to take specific, measurable actions prioritizing mental health and substance use disorder treatment services, combined with housing to provide long-term solutions for those who are experiencing homelessness and housing insecurity: https://compassionseattle.org/
- The opposition has also approached us to endorse a different plan: https://www.houseourneighbors.org/our-endorsers
- Karen Richter, Rachel Glass, and Colleen Hinton will review information and educate the 34th Board.
- Good of the Order (GOTO) & Announcements
- Congrats to everyone on the excellent endorsement meeting.
- Due to some issues within the endorsements process this year, Carla has asked Jordan to draft a policy for Board consideration.
8:50 – Adjourned by Chair Carla Rogers